Application deadline: Wed, March 4, 2015 4:30pm EST in College Hall 314A
Established in 1996, AFT Local 1904's Becker-Keenen-Moore-Uhia-Waller (BKMUW) Scholarship at Montclair State University has awarded 88 scholarships for a total of $44,500. Starting in 2014, a new scholarship was created, the Yovnello-CNJSCL Scholarship, and it is funded by our bargaining agent, the Council of New Jersey State College Locals (CNJSCL).
|2014 BKMUW-Yovnello-CNJSCL Scholarship Recipients|
- Students must be an undergraduate student enrolled full-time at Montclair State University at the time the award payment is made.
- Students cannot be on academic or disciplinary suspension or probation. A minimum GPA of 2.75 is required.
- Students must depend in whole or in part on their own work/employment for economic resources for their enrollment. Financial Aid status will be verified.
- For the Ellen Kerns Nunn Scholarship, to be eligible, students must be a single parent who is working/employed full-time or part-time and pursuing an undergraduate education.
- Eligible students will apply by writing and submitting an essay describing the student’s need, and the role of higher education in the student’s life. Applicants should carefully proof read their essays.
- As part of the application, the students will submit two letters of recommendation from faculty, professional staff or librarians who are members of MSUFT Local 1904 bargaining unit.
- Students are encouraged to consult with the Local’s Office Manager, Linda Turano, to determine if those the student is asking for a letter of recommendation from are members of MSUFT Local 1904.
- Letters of recommendation from MSU employees that are not members of MSUFT Local 1904 (e.g. administrators or adjunct faculty members) will not be accepted.
The 2015 deadline for submitting applications is Wednesday, March 4th by 4:30pm EST (Note that the AFT Local 1904 office in College Hall 314A closes at 4:30pm sharp. No late submissions will be accepted after the office closes).
Questions? Contact the Local's office via email @ firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by our office located in College Hall, Room 314A.
OTHER SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES:
Essex County Labor Scholarship Award Criteria for High School Seniors
Deadline: April 17, 2015
- To receive an Award, the recipient must be a High School Senior and be accepted at an accredited college or accredited post-high school education program.
- To be eligible for an Award, the guardian must be a member of a local union affiliated with the Essex-West Hudson Central Labor Council, AFL-CIO.
- 18 - $500 Scholarships will be awarded for one academic year.
- Each applicant must submit a brief written statement explaining why he/she qualifies for the award.