Why should you join the Local 1904?
- Higher union membership strengthens our position at both statewide and local bargaining tables. More members mean a better contract and less chance of a strike.
- Union dues are your fair share of funds to assist members and conduct contract negotiations. By joining the union, you help keep these funds available for the time when you or a colleague needs support and pays for the costs associated with negotiating a contract from which you benefit. The union provides this support whether you join or not.
- Joining the union allows you to vote for officers and to be a candidate for an officership and on contract ratifications.
- More members for our Local means greater voting strength at the Council of New Jersey State College Locals (Council) where major decisions are made about contract negotiations, ratification and strikes. We get a Council delegate for each 50 members. The AFT Local 1904's membership remains strong.
- Joining the union is your statement of solidarity with your colleagues and of your strong support for affordable educational excellence at MSU and fair pay and benefits for all of us -- you included -- who work hard to realize that educational excellence.
Local 1904 union dues are 1% of gross salary. Becoming a full member therefore costs $10 for every $1,000 of income.
Faculty Example: If you make $50,000, it costs $500 per year to join the union. Faculty receive paychecks based on 22 pay periods per year. That means, based upon this salary, it costs about $22.73 per paycheck to join the union.
Staff/Librarian Example: Librarians and Professional Staff receive 26 paychecks per year. If you make $40,000, it costs you $400 per year to join. Or, about $15.38 per paycheck.
What are the general benefits of AFT membership?
In addition to strengthening the Local, there are other benefits to becoming a member of the American Federation of Teachers (AFT). Learn about all the benefits here.
How do you join the Local 1904?
To join, digitally complete a membership card. This card allows current members to re-affirm their membership, while specifying a name and address of one or more beneficiaries on the Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) policy (recently upgraded to a $30,000 value) that the Local provides for each full member. The card also provides non-members the opportunity to become members, and when they join they may also provide the name and address of the beneficiary for the AD&D policy. Please note that the beneficiaries of this policy need not match those specified on any other beneficiary documents at Montclair State. Click here to complete a membership card.
Contact the Local's office ext. 4453 or email firstname.lastname@example.org